This week, I heard an interesting fact, that once one finishes college or university, they stop reading so much and at most read 3 books a year.
I need to tell you this, that if you have a problem or challenge, the chances are someone who has had the same problem, has overcome it and have written a book about it.
These 2 benefits alone are great reasons, to go get a book and read.
I love the quote, “The more you learn, the more you earn”.
However, powerful these reasons are to read more, we just don’t pick up a book as often as perhaps we should.
Here are some cool ideas to help you read more and become more knowledgeable in the areas you seek to know more about.
- Get a library card. Aside from accessing a plethora of books, you can get DVD’s to watch, attend events, learn, see movies, network and just go and hang out at the library to research, connect and work!
2. Make it a plan to read just 15 minutes a day…Studies show that if you read just 15 minutes a day, you will read 15 books a year! Holy cow! What if you are in business for yourself and you need sales advice, to boost your income? What if you read a sales book or two, for just 15 minutes a day? You’d probably learn more and become more expert in sales and like that quote I shared above, about earning and learning…
The bottom line is make a little time to read, your life will thank you!
3. Make reading fun! I have a park and a reading lab (An outdoor parkette, in my neighbourhood, that I go to, to read. They have Muskoka Chairs, a Book Case, a canopy in case it rains and I just sit outside after work, get some air and chill on the Muskoka chair with my book and my water…It gets me outside, I read for a good 30 minutes (or more) and just feel more alive once I am done!
4. Pull yourself away from social media and read! I don’t know about you, but I feel. I am tiring of being on social media, it is a big time suck and I don’t need to know what my friends had for lunch or look at their cute kittens…okay, editors note, I like kittens, but looking at them won’t improve my life the way reading a book will.
5. Reading will fill your mind with goodness, where as watching CNN and all of the negative news of the day, will bring fear, worry, doubt…so turn off the news, life will happen without you knowing, Donald Trump will Tweet something stupid, the Democrats will attack the Republicans and Kathleen Wynne here in Ontario will overspend…but reading a book will help you, it will fill your mind with new ideas, ways to do things, it will enhance your creativity and if you are single…it i a great way to start a conversation with the opposite sex, when you share what you are reading and how it has helped you and might help the person you want to ask out on a date.
This week, make a commitment to read more..try it out…15 minutes a day, just go! You can do this!
I read at this park, overlooking Lake Simcoe in Beaverton, last weekend…I got some sun, did a nature trail walk as well. It is a peaceful way to read and be and enriches the soul!
David is an author, business coach and facilitator and was the former host/producer and creator of the Small Business Big Ideas Show heard weekly for over 9 years. David has taught thousands over the years in both the non-profit and for profit sectors and has coached hundreds of start-ups to make those important first steps. He specializes in helping small business owners mine their strengths, get clear on their value, their markets and then begin to develop a sales and marketing game plan that gets results.
He also can be booked to do his keynote presentations; “The 8 Keys to Success, How I got to Kiss the Stanley Cup and his new keynote called “A breakthrough-through the glass”- how to overcome the fear that life and business might throw your way. He leads workshops in sales, marketing, market research, business plans, target marketing and customer service programs. David is currently with the City of Toronto, heading up an entrepreneur training program for inner city youth and adults. He has taught thousands and coached numerous clients in the area of Small Business Start-ups and business growth strategies.