I am using a football analogy in the headline of this post. I do so because we are entering the 4th quarter of the year…and like in football, the game is divided into 4 quarters.
The 4th quarter of the year is usually the time we bear down and get serious about work and achieving our goals.
The time of summer fun is over, it is time to go back to school, to get back to work, to make it happen.
I say “Hogwash” to all of that thinking. Why you ask? Well like in football, the game is 4 quarters, or 60 minutes long, you have to play well in each quarter to win. If you let your foot off the gas pedal, at any point during the game you could lose.
So…for starters, pace yourself through out the year. Look at the year in quarters and prioritize your goals. Who knows maybe the summer break is what you need?
Or a fall retreat doing Yoga and meditating is the cure for your creativity and stress, being both unleashed and then released.
You ideally want consistent effort all year through and then adjust your goals to what you feel will work for you, Listen to your body, your heart and mind, it will give you clues as to what you need to do.
Think of driving a car…you can’t have the foot on the gas pedal the whole trip…you have to slow down, stop, get a Tim Horton’s coffee on your trip. Plus you need to fill up the gas tank too once in a while.
This analogy is what my message is about in this week’s post. Pace yourself, work hard, work smart, but take the foot off the gas pedal when you need it. When you tune into your body, mind and spirit it will tell you what it needs.
Now…let’s also talk about 5 things you can do to make it a great final quarter.
Here is your game plan!
- Set your key goals…think about what it is you want to accomplish for the next 3 months. Break your goals or objectives into bite sizes. Sure you might want to sell $100,000 in goods or services, but break it down, maybe $33,333.00 per month, divide it into weeks, take into account peak seasons, but break your goals into bites. You eat an elephant one piece at a time.
2. Set a BHAG! What is a Big Hairy Audacious Goal that you want to achieve this coming quarter? What is that “Thing” that if you accomplish it, you will run up the steps like Rocky did and dance to “Gotta Fly Now”? What is that big bold goal? Set it this week!
3. Put some accountability in place. Get a buddy, a mentor or a coach (Me)! To help you on your journey. To hold you to the goals you set. Having that in place keeps you going, helps you get unstuck and to see blind spots you didn’t even see!
4. Pace yourself, allow for balance. you still need your family, social, exercise, and spiritual time. It will help you be fresher at work or in your business if you do.
5. Have fun! Seriously…have fun with this. Set your goals, make it a project, let others know about it. Perhaps put your goal on a bristol board in your office, with visual pictures of what it is you want to achieve!
Or get a T-shirt with your goal on it…For example, the t-shirt can read, “Operation $100,000”
Play full out on the goals and objectives you want to achieve this quarter, but have fun with it. The difference to being committed to something you want versus, being attached to it, is purely mental. When you are attached to an outcome, there is suffering involved. When you are committed to obtaining something, there is a freedom to it.
There you have it, 5 actions to take on to take it to the house and celebrate like a 5 year old on Christmas Day, that you scored that big touchdown!
Way to go you!!!
Have a great week! Get in the game!
P.S. If you want to have a coaching conversation, let’s connect!