I have an admission to make, I am a new calendar geek. I just bought all of my new calendars for 2018. 2 Wall calendars, a desk calendar and my day-timer. I bought my Franklin Covey inspiration calendar, my cool Blue Jays calendar, my day-timer refills and a desk planner…I am good to go. I can plan away now!
But as I look at my current calendars, the year end is near. This year has been full on, with challenges, trials and tribulations, not just personally, but globally too, if you look around at what is happening in the media and society these days.
I hope this year has been good to you, that if you had a challenge, you met it head on and have come out the other side.
I hope you have learned from your challenges. I hope you have grown as a person, that you are more compassionate, easy about life and have a sense of humour and lightness about you too!
Now, in keeping with the title of this post, we all want to create the space for good things in the New Year ahead.
But to create space we must take some actions. Here are 5 things you can do, to end the year off powerfully. Take notes!
- Create your mission and a vision for your life, your work or business. Here is a fantastic tool to help you build your own personal mission… https://msb.franklincovey.com/
2. De-clutter your life, yes physically clean up your space, get organized, let go of anything that you don’t need or use. It is taking up space and for new things to happen and come into your life, you need to let go of the old. That means stuff, beliefs, doubts, fears and yes even people and relationships that don’t bring you goodness or satisfaction.
3. Commit to taking on something new and different in 2018. Personally, last year I took an Improv class at the Bad Dog theater, it got me out and meeting new people and learning new things…join a meet-up group, go for coffee meetings each week with a buddy, take a class, do something different and plan to keep yourself active and engaged.
You can go to an art gallery, hike, take a class, learn to cook, play drums, take up a sport or a hobby…the choices are endless, just tap into your joy though!
4. Set your goals for the new year ahead now! Set goals around the things that frustrate you and make them happen. For example, my closets are a mess, I can live with it, because they aren’t that bad, but I do want to clean them up over the holidays. Set your work, life, business, health, spirituality and money goals…
Lastly set some big kick ass goals, that really excite you and even scare you a little.
Then take action on your goals, the key to realizing your goals starts with a powerful first step, take it, be committed to taking action in 2018.
5. We have all realized that life is fragile over the past few weeks. I am talking about Roy Halladay, the former amazing pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays and the Philadelphia Phillies. He died in a plane crash 10 days ago. He was 40. He had a wife and 2 teen boys. Yesterday, was the memorial “Celebration of Life” for him. Everyone had tears in their eyes when they spoke about Roy. He was a good man on and off the field.
This year, commit to getting together with people, (friends, family, past work colleagues and new people you want to meet) for coffee, and just share life with them and let them know they mean something to you.
I like the saying that life isn’t how much you make or have, but the memories you make and lives you impact.
With about 6 weeks left in the year, begin to take the above actions and you will find, you will set yourself up powerfully for an amazing 2018.
Make it a great week!